Thursday 9 January 2020

Day 4 - breakfast mysteries and banks in the sun

A lovely days sampling today in the sunshine despite the predicted rain but the day started with a mystery.....

Gregg's porridge with a serving suggestion of dry oat flakes!
Fond as I am of Greggs, how can a picture of some dry porridge oats be a sensible "serving suggestion" for porridge?

I tried not to let this perplexing question delay my sampling too much and was soon back in the field. only two banks today, the second in particular was a delight with buzzards overhead in the clear blue sky.

2005 bank - lovely blue sky
2015 bank - sky looks a bit ominous but soon it was sunny











The soil was still shallow and chalky, I have high hopes of the Norfolk sampling tomorrow at Sennowe Park for some less stony, deeper soils.
A final shot of chalk bespeckled soil
It was a four to five hour drive from Cranbourne up to Norfolk through some very unpleasant rain (the thick stuff you have to strain to see through, I was very pleased to be in the car and not sampling) but the M25 was moving quite well and I got to my hotel (a Best Western this time, the room is boiling due to some hot water pipes!) at around 6 pm.  It's another early start tomorrow so I can be at the estate office for about 7 am then just 3 banks and fields to sample before heading home!

No comments:

Post a Comment