Wednesday 8 January 2020

Day 3 - the banks keep coming

Another busy day sampling - three more banks done, this time dating from 2017, 2013 and 2011.

The 2017 bank

The 2013 beetle bank

The 2011 bank
Again the soils were shallow with chalk parent material at depths somewhere between 20 and 30 cm.

Chalk at the bottom of the auger from the 2017 bank
2013 samples with depth (and chalk) increasing left to right











The last bank was about 2 km from where I parked so this was an excellent opportunity to work out how to carry the auger, the corer, the GPS system and my bucket over distance - I'll need to do that again tomorrow for a 2005 bank, again at Cranboune. Despite the walk I was finished by 1700 and back to the Ringwood Travel lodge where I chanced my arm and got some additional complementary tea bags (that's four I've had now over 3 days!) and my shower gel dispenser topped up. The pub over the road (The St Leonard) is OK for food and has decent beer and you can get breakfast at Greggs next door to the Travel lodge (porridge for me!) but it has to be said that I won't be rushing back to the Travel lodge (though to be fair the bed is comfy and the shower is hot).


No comments:

Post a Comment